We are so into memo boards right now – creative ways to keep us organized in our studio, offices or the kitchen. This 7gypsies tray is perfect for making memo boards with lots of great spots to keep it all straight. We had fun with fabric, paper and the sewing machine to bring these vintage elements together. Let us show you how we did it.
What you will need:
- 7gypsies Photo Shadowbox Tray: Black
- 7gypsies Gypsy Moments 4×6 Printed File Folders
- 7gypsies Gypsy Moments ATC Printed File Folders
- 7gypsies Just Thankful Gypsy Moments Cards
- 7gypsies Doodle Gypsy Moments Cards
- 7gypsies Index Gypsy Moments Cards
- 7gypsies 12×12 Gypsy Moments A Novel Thought Paper
- 7gypsies 12×12 Gypsy Moments Express Yourself Paper
- 7gypsies Antique Brass Medium Rings
- 7gypsies Antique Brass Printers Tray Label
- 7gypsies Antique Brass Vintage Pins
- 7gypsies Antique Silver Optical Lens
- 7gypsies Charms – Whimsy
- 7gypsies Charms – Flight
- Canvas Corp Burlap Flower – Wheat
- Canvas Corp 12×12 Burlap Sheet
- Canvas Corp 12×12 Burlap Lt. Pink
- Canvas Corp 12×12 Burlap Ivory
- Canvas Corp 12×12 Printed Canvas – Tile
- Canvas Corp 225′ Jute
- Canvas Corp e-flute – Kraft
- Canvas Corp e-flute – Chocolate
- Assorted pieces of vintage fabric – these are great to find at flea markets or garage sales – old curtains, bedding, table clothes…
- foam core or a box
Tools: scissors, hole punch
Let’s start start at the top left corner and we will walk you though what we did….
To help with measurements use this for a guide – you can design your tray to be vertical or horizontal to fit into the perfect spot.
We stitched pieces of vintage fabric to the cards to give them some fun personality – you can do a stack of them and slip them into this space – Chocolate e-flute is the the background. If you choose to make more than one card, you can add a piece of cardstock at the bottom of the opening to create a pocket that will hold them in. To finish the top corner off add the burlap flower with trails of fabric and the bird charm from whimsy.
Moving down the tray, we added a piece of found fabric to a piece of foam or cardboard box to fit in the space – this creates an automatic pin cushion or corklike board where you can pin things into place. The tray label just slips onto the divider and you can add paper, a saying or a piece of fabric and tie a charm. The next section is filled with ivory burlap and one of the atc size file folder, glued into place they make great pockets.
The lower left corner was created with layers of paper, burlap and fabric to create a textured area with lots of vintage color. Pin the optical lens in place after adding a photo, vintage picture or saying.
Next, slip over to the bottom center where we created a mini journal by punching holes in one or more of the 4×6 file folders and then punching holes into the tray to line up and secure the journal into place with the rings, you can add pages to our journal for notes, phone numbers, appointments, etc.
The top section features a 4×6 printed folder that is glued on the sides to create pocket for business cards, appointment cards, etc.
The top right is actually a burlap pocket made by folding the burlap in half and sewing it to make a sturdy pocket and then glued into place.
Fill the final boxes with the fabrics or papers of your choice and then add another atc file folder to the front of one of the openings to create one more pocket. Add fun sayings, quotes, words, etc. to you your board, the Gypsy Moments Collection is filled with so many fun photos, quotes and words that make it fun and easy.
Now you are ready to fill you memo board with all those important notes, phone numbers, appointments, menus, etc. This tray is easy to move from place to place or hang it up for all to see. Consider creating custom memo boards for Christmas gifts, personalizing each one to match the style, color palette or theme for each person. To make each memo board unique finding vintage fabrics, trinkets and papers is always great, so be on the lookout during you next flea market or garage sale adventures.