We love that we play well with others and our Match Up series is all about getting the chance to see different brands work together, what magic is created when you try new things and making new creative friends. Our first Match Up of 2017 is with The Crafter’s Workshop. You may know them for their templates and stencils, but did you know that the company is 100% run by women, all the product is made in the USA and they work with many designers in the industry to showcase their art and designs through their stencils. We are all for the guys, don’t get us wrong, but it is fun to see a group of amazing people doing some really fun things.
We have been friends with creator and owner of the brand, Jaime, for a long time. We have so enjoyed watching the brand thrive and grow. One thing we can say for sure is that hard work and dedication was instrumental in the success of this brand. Jaime Echt not only creates many of the designs offered by TCW, she is at every trade show, workshop and event and in many cases by herself making it happen. Her support of the industry, creativity and her designers is second to none and by the way, she has an awesome sense of humor too.
The mixed media world was taken by storm with the introduction of unique mediums that opened up the world of creative ideas even further. Textured mediums, gesso, pastes and more could be added to projects, mixed with other mediums and when they meet up with a stencil or template the true magic begins.
The Match Up Crew led by Crew Member, Lynne Forsythe and Design Team Leader for TCW, Cheryl Boglioli would include TCW Mixed Media Goodies, a selection of TCW Templates and Stencils, Canvas Corp Papers and Fabrics and Tattered Angels Paints. Spring is on the way so we thought the bright colors of spring and nature were just the right choice for the projects. Kits were put together and sent to a group of designers on both teams who agreed to test and play with all the products and share their findings. Today we kick off the month long match up where we will be sharing fun and clever projects, techniques and ideas that use a wide range of the products.
The boxes of goodies were filled with printed papers, colorful embellishments, burlap, canvas, cords, paints, templates, stencils, mixed media goodies and colorful inspiration. Each designer was challenged to play with the goodies and teach us something new. We are going to kick off the Match Up by showing off our play time with paper, cardboard, glimmer mist and mixed media goodies.
Here is what we experimented with and here is what we found:
1. Canvas Corp 12×12 Cardboard + Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste – this 12×12 sheet of nice quality kraft board was the prefect for our play time. We layered a TCW 12×12 Stencil (Swirly Garden) and with a palette knife, filled the stencil with the thick modeling paste, waited a few minutes, lifted it and fell in love.
2. Canvas Corp Big Dot + left over Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste – we could not bear to simply wipe off the leftover paste, so we flipped the stencil over and with a brayer rolled it onto one of the Canvas Corp Papers and the look was terrific. The large background dots and black paper not only look cool, but the texture when dry is really amazing.
3. TCW Gold Gesso + Tattered Angels Mistable Paper Brushed Cotton + TCW 6×6 Mini Sweet Posey – what fun to play with this shimmery gesso. The gold is just the right color and the smooth texture was so easy to work through the stencil. The smoothness of the paper was the perfect match for the smooth gesso a match made in heaven.
4. Tattered Angels High Impact Light Gold Metallic Paint + TCW 6×6 Mini Sweet Posey + Tattered Angels Mistable Paper Brushed Cotton – the same smooth paper used above was the base once again, but this time we tried the High Impact Paint through the stencil and love how the details of the stencil are so clear. The high impact does not have the same dimension as the gold gesso, but both looks are really terrific.
5. Canvas Corp 12×12 Canvas Sheet + Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste + TCW Butterflies Stencil – applying the modeling past to canvas was a breeze and when dried the fabric was still flexible and now features dimensional flowers.
6. Canvas Corp 12×12 White E-Flute + Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste + Tattered Angels Naturally Aged Kit – Tarnished Silver – Fill in the gaps of the flute with the modeling paste making a textured surface and let it dry. Then follow the instructions
in the Naturally Aged Kit or just have have adding a combination of grey paints and bubble it up with a heat gun and
the look it so fun.
The finished piece looks like a piece of rustic metal and is a great added touch to this piece. Real metal is a little difficult to work with, but handmade medal in the color of your choice is the perfect added touch.
7. Canvas Corp Red & Ivory Toile Paper + TCW Mini Sunflower Stencil +Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste – we wanted to see how the paste and stencil would look on a printed background such as the CC Toile paper and we have to say we were more than impressed. The toile background was just perfect to show off the sunflower. The sunflower has a large enough pattern that it did not compete with the background and created a new mixed media background that we just love.
After lots of experimenting we were ready to to turn our play time into a crafty spring layout that reminds us to stop and smell the flowers and not let the upcoming Spring months pass us by too quickly.
Smell The Flowers Mixed Media Board
So put it all together and what do you have? An amazing layout that shows off this sweet photo that reminds us to stop and smell the flowers and enjoy what life brings us.
Start with the cardboard base (making sure the medium is completely dry) and begin layering bits and pieces from your experiment. It is good to choose coordinating colors when playing which gives you so many options when choosing your layers for your final piece. After your piece is complete gather up all your other goodies and save them for the next time, that is what makes mixed media projects oh so fun.
Layers of fabrics, papers, cardboard and faux finish pieces look amazing together and the colors and styles you choose help to determine the style of your piece. We are in love with this modern twist of this piece.
It is always fun to put a focal piece on your mixed media project like this ‘Made You Smile’ card that is the perfect
Here is a complete list of what was used:
Canvas Corp – Canvas Corp 12×12 Cardboard; Canvas Corp 12×12 White E-Flute; Canvas Corp 12×12 Canvas Sheet; Canvas Corp French Script Printed Canvas; Canvas Corp Printed Cardstock Black & Ivory Big Dot; Orange & White Dot Rev; Yellow & Ivory Lattice; Black & White Ribbon Stripe; Seed Packets on Ivory; Kraft & Black Postcard
Tattered Angels – Tattered Angels Mistable Paper Brushed Cotton; Mixed Media Origins – Chairs (tufted area); Glimmer Mist Paints – Caper Green; Simply Sheer It’s Orange; Tattered Angels Naturally Aged Kit – Tarnished Silver; Tattered Angels High Impact Light Gold Metallic Paint
7gypsies – Vintage Banner Bugs
The Crafters Workshop (TCW) – Mixed Media TCW Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste; TCW Gold Gesso; Stencils – TCW 12×12 Stencil (Swirly Garden); TCW Butterflies Stencil; TCW 6×6 Mini Sweet Posey
Other items: Beacon’s FabricTac
Tools: Paper Cutter; Scissors; Palette knife; Heat Gun
We hope you enjoy this match up as much as we have enjoyed playing with all the great products from Jaime and her team at The Crafter’s Workshop. Spend the next few weeks with us exploring many unique techniques and inspiration when we combine products from The Crafters Workshop, Tattered Angels and Canvas Corp. We will be giving away an exciting prize at then end of this adventure that could be yours and here is all you need to do.
What would a match up be without a fun prize!!!! Here is your chance to get your hands on a wonderful collection of products from The Crafter’s Workshop and Canvas Corp Brands. Here is all you need to do….
- leave a comment here on any or all of the Match Up Posts during the month of February with The Crafter’s Workshop and CCB. You can leave one on each post for more chances to win. Don’t forget to include #tcwccbmatchup so we can find you!!!
- and/or leave a comment on the CCB Facebook page. Don’t forget to include #tcwccbmatchup so we can find you!!!
- and/or leave a comment on any of the CCB Instagram posts where you see any of the projects from the CCB team or the TCW team. Don’t forget to include #tcwccbmatchup so we can find you!!!
You can follow along by searching #tcwccbmatchup too. If you love what you see and would like to join our Facebook group the CCB Collective – ask to join today.
You can find all The Crafter’s Workshop products in their shop – The Crafter’s Workshop Store; check out their blog and follow them on Instagram
We will be sharing projects the entire month of February – learn new techniques, see how new products are used and be inspired with great ideas from the TCW and CCB designers.
February 5, 2017 @ 7:28 am Tara
I enjoyed reading about these products with a nice cup of coffee. I would really love to try the gold paste some time.
February 5, 2017 @ 10:02 am mary nelson
I’m loving these fun looking products! The gold gesso……wowzer!! Would soo love to try them all!
February 5, 2017 @ 8:56 pm Denise Bryant
Enjoying the Match Up with The Crafter’s Workshop! I’d love to try out the gesso and pastes! Looks like fun!
February 5, 2017 @ 11:49 pm Linsey R
What a great post! I really enjoyed seeing all these awesome products being used in different ways! It’s helpful to see the results and it also really inspires me!! Now I have more fun new products on my wish list to try out! Thanks so much for this collaboration and showcase with 2 fabulous companies that I love!!!
February 6, 2017 @ 6:13 am jean marmo
Such a fun match up ! Love the projects!!
February 6, 2017 @ 11:47 am Sue LD
Love how all these experiments came together!
February 6, 2017 @ 3:34 pm carolyn Myles
These items really get my imagination flowing!
February 10, 2017 @ 8:28 pm Cindy Feagle
I loved seeing the newest gesso colors and mixed media pastes. Can’t wait to start playing with them. Already getting ideas bouncing around in my brain!
February 21, 2017 @ 6:29 am Cathy
Loved this match up!! And loving the rest too! So many amazing products and projects !!