Hi Everyone, Connie Hall here to share my Shabby Chic renovation project. I picked up a child’s dollhouse at a thrift store for $6.
I knew when I saw it, I loved the design and had plans of using the Architextures papers and Tattered Angels Color Wash, Glimmer Mist and High Impact Paint. Funny thing is as I was working the project, I kept changing my mind but I believe it added to the layers and distressed look of an older home.
Dollhouse in need of renovation
Achitextures 12 x 12 paper collection:
- exterior walls – Smile for the camera
- interior walls bed room – Market sign
- Bathroom wall – Vintage Bunting
- Kitchen wall – Travel Habit
- Kitchen wall – Flying Clippers
- Living room wall – French Design
- Paper for doors – Painted doors
Bathroom floor – Black & White collection
bedroom floor- Burlap
ceiling – Architextures 8 x 8 paper pad
Tattered Angels Color wash French Roast
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist Vintage Pink
Tattered Angels High Impact Paint White
Lace from 7gypsies scrap pack
scissors, paper trimmer, liquid glue, gesso
paint brushes, sponge brush, cleaning rag
Soap and water
I washed and cleaned out cobwebs from dollhouse. Then let dry.
I used gesso and painted all surfaces. I applied 2 coats and let dry.
I did not worry about centers of wood pieces because I knew they would be covered with paper.
Select 12 x 12 papers you want to use for the outside of your house.
I used a ruler and measured the length and width of each piece being covered.
I used a paper trimmer to cut the paper the width of house is a bit longer than 12 inches.
I just cut small pieces from scraps to fill in the ends.
I attached the paper using modge podge and a paint brush.
I used the Architextures 8×8 pad and paper and placed the paper on the ceiling; measuring and cutting a slit in paper to go around inner wall.
I also used 12×12 papers on the floors. For a carpet look in the bedroom, I used burlap cut to the right size of floor. I glued the carpet onto a piece of cardstock to make it stiffer and to allow me to remove it if needed.
For the doors, I pressed the paper along the opening creating a crease.
That created a line to follow to cut out the windows and doors.
I decided I wanted some pink along the outside so I applied a generous layer of Glimmer Mist.
I then decided that I wanted a darker look to the wood so I added some Color Wash stain over it.
I added a light touch of Glimmer Mist over the patterned paper on outer walls – that made it look more weather-distressed.
I had originally planned to splatter the High Impact paint so I diluted it with a little water and the wood took it so well that I ended up painting all the wood.
As you can see… when you are doing your project, it is your call how you do things. Feel free to keep changing your plan and doing things differently!
I went on to add a window on the back of the house. I also added a picture of my daughter and I, a rose spray, and a little piece of lace on window. I also used lace on the roof and it was applied with double sided tape. I added a circle frame with a rose picture and fussy cut a banner for the bedroom wall.
Here’s a look at the interior of bottom floor.
This is the back of my shabby chic house.
Side view of House.
Thanks for joining me and I hope you feel inspired to look for a project to renovate.
'Shabby Chic Dolls House Renovation Project' has no commentsBe the first to comment this post!