We love Christmas in every style, but we cannot help falling in love with the nostalgic look and feel of holiday goodies from the past, ornaments, decor, trees, displays, oh my. We asked the Crew to share with us some of their favorite vintage holiday decor pieces, displays, and ornaments and we are just swooning. We wanted to share them with you and let you do the same. Here are 12 Vintage Christmas Decorating Ideas You Are Going To Love.
1. Christmas vintage dress form – wrap with vintage garland, beads and holiday decor.
2. Vintage bicycle decked out for the holidays – wrap with Christmas lights, greenery and holiday decor, plug in the lights and you have an amazing holiday display.
3. Bowls of vintage ornaments – create a beautiful centerpiece or display with vintage ornaments – add them to jars, bottles and bowls and bring them together. Add a few vintage holiday pieces and the look is amazing.
4. Rustic jingle bells – hang rustic bells from your door handle, on the tree or add them to your holiday decor. If you don’t have rustic ones, make your own by tarnishing up bright and shiny bells.
5. Vintage Beverage Cart – grab a white metal food or wine cart, add white lights, a vintage Santa hat and greenery then fill with your favorite beverages for your Christmas party.
6. Snowman collection on the shelves – grab your collection of vintage snowmen, Santas, reindeer or other holiday icons and add them to your shelves among the vintage bottles, jars, cups and plates. Keeping the collection together makes a wonderful nostalgic statement.
7. Holiday color Fiestaware & milk glass – choose your red, green and white Fiestaware to start your holiday display then add any vintage bowls, plates and decorative dishes in reds, greens and whites to keep a cohesive look. Milk glass is a wonderful touch with its pure white color and wonderful texture. Add a bit of whimsy with modern holiday decor here and there.
8. Vintage Santa & Mrs. Clause – if you are lucky enough to have a pair like this, put them front and center, add them to a centerpiece or even in your Christmas tree as a focal point.
9. Vintage ornament wreath – grab a grapevine wreath and add a touch of white for with paint or snow paint to vintage it out a bit and then add with wire or set in place your favorite vintage ornaments. You can also vintage up modern ornaments to give them the perfect look.
10. Vintage Christmas stockings – find them or make them – true vintage stockings were knitted, made of felt or other interesting materials. You can make your own with rustic fabrics, simple stitches, mixed prints, stamped icons and event a vintage print. Hang outside in your decor or line your fireplace.
11. Vintage sleigh – dress up an old sleigh with a big red bow and greenery then add to outside decor on the porch or next to the tree. You can try to stain a new sleigh to look old, but finding a truly old sleigh, skis or other vintage outdoor sport is a perfect element for your holiday decor. Pair with a painted lantern – with a painted silver look.
12. Vintage decorative ornaments – showcase a special ornament on a tree branch, hang from a nail or include as part of a Christmas banner. Use jute for a hanger to give it just the right rustic look.
13. Colonial inspired Christmas decor – candles, greenery, bells and vintage wooden pieces give a feel of holidays from long ago. Keeping it classic and simple looks amazing and keeps that vintage flair.
14. Eclectic stockings on the fireplace and tinsel on the tree – vintage or retro – it is your call. The nostalgic look just works and why worry about the stockings matching? Just line them up and enjoy the look.
15. Make them vintage – if you don’t have a box of Christmas heirlooms to pull from and have not been junk’n lately, then why not make your own vintage ornaments? Kimberly stained the ticking with Simply Sheer Mist and then added some vintage themed elements and the results are just perfect. So if you need to add to your collection or want to start one, try making a few things.
Vintage decor for the Holidays is not only fun to look at, but it brings back amazing memories. For those lucky enough to have hand me down pieces, cherish them and for those who do not, pick up pieces at garage sales, estate sales, vintage markets and maker markets where new pieces are made to look old. You can choose the nostalgic feel that appeals to you most – rustic vintage, traditional, retro or shabby chic. Choose your style and gather to add to your collection and each year it will become more and more of your holiday vision. Don’t forget to add some natural greenery when you can, just a touch of nature really adds to the look.