Hi, I’m Marni from HaberdasheryFun. I’m happy to be here today sharing my colorful canvas pouches.
Spring is almost in the air! I had a lot of fun coming up with a versatile pouch that had a pop of color. I loved sewing with cotton canvas, so I wanted to make one pouch that was simple and basic and another pouch with a hand painted print.
With blank cotton canvas and just a paint brush and paint – think of all the patterns and motifs that can be made!
Ok. Let’s get started… Materials needed:
- 12″x 12″ canvas sheets – 1 sheet in ivory and another in a pop color
- Tattered Angels High Impact Mixed Media Paint and paint brush
- Cotton fabric for lining
- 14″ metal zipper
- Disappearing fabric ink pen
- Sewing machine and supplies
- Iron and ironing board
Fabric / Cutting instructions:
- Outside Top / Ivory canvas: Cut 2 rectangles measuring 5″ x 12″
- Outside Bottom /Colored canvas: Cut 2 rectangles measuring 3″ x 12″
- Lining/Cotton fabric: Cut 2 rectangles measuring 7″ x 12″
- Zipper tabs: Cut 2 rectangles measuring 2″ x 3″
1. Using a brush, dip paint brush into fabric paint. Paint the design onto the ivory canvas fabric. repeat for the other side. Set aside to dry. Once dry. iron to lay flat.
2. Lay the outside bottom colored rectangle piece onto the top ivory rectangle piece, matching along the 12″ sides. Pin if needed. Place into your sewing machine and stitch together with a 1/2″ seam allowance. Press the seams open with an iron. Repeat for the other side.
3. Sew the zipper tabs – Fold the zipper tab in half. Press a crease. Turn and fold each raw end towards the middle fold. Press again. Cut the zipper to be approximately 10-3/4″ long. Do NOT cut the zipper pull off. Insert a tab onto one end of the zipper. Place into your sewing machine and slowly sew the tab in place. Repeat for other end.
4. Place the zipper face down on the outside fabric. There should about 5/8″ less on each end. Pin in place. Change to the zipper foot on your sewing machine and stitch the zipper down.
5. Place the lining rectangle on top of the zipper. The zipper should be sandwiched in between the outside fabric and lining fabric. Pin, place into your sewing machine and sew down the zipper. Repeat and sew the main fabric and then the lining fabric to the other side. Press the seams.
6. Sew the pouch together. Make sure to open the zipper first! Lay the outside pieces facing on top of other and place the lining pieces on top of each other. it is important that the outside colored bottom seams line up. Pin, Place into your sewing machine and sew together with a 1/2″ seam allowance. Leave a small opening about 2″ in length along the bottom lining edge. Press all seams.
Turn and wiggle the side seam and bottom seam to lay on top of each other. Lay on top of each other. Place the ruler 1″ from the tip and draw a line across with a disappearing fabric pen. Pin. Place into sewing machine and stitch following the line. Repeat for the other 3 corners. Cut all tips off leaving a 1/2″ seam allowance.
Turn right side out. Wiggle corners into place. Pin and then sew the lining opening closed.