If you are looking for quick and clever decorating ideas for your next shindig you have come to the right place. Sometimes simple items you have around the house combined with a few handmade items are just the ticket. There is no need to run to the party store and pick up boring party decorations that all look alike and have no personality, make your own, it is really easy. The supplies are care of Scrapbooker’s Painted Pages and Canvas Corp and we think the combination is terrific. The handprinted designs combined with the burlap and canvas, along with natural paint colors and jute work so well. Scrapbooker’s Painted Pages Papers are each hand painted and printed on a very cool textured paper that has a feel of fabric or canvas. These packs will be featured on Zulilly August 23-26, so if you are a Zulilly lover like we are you are going to want to check them out.
We wanted to create simple pieces that were not time consuming to make, but the end results will make you look like a decorating star. The first thing to consider is the space(s) you are going to decorate. You can do the entire room or you can focus on the buffet, table or counter and transform that space, making it a focal point where the food and drinks are served. All you will need are some themed papers, banner pieces and a few craft basics and you are good to go. We used the Scrapbooker’s Painted Pages Happy Trails Pack. The pack includes a wide range of papers and designs that are ideal for fussy cutting, along with solid papers, so it is like party in one pack. Here are 10 fun and simple ideas you can use for a western themed party, but they work great for any themed party.
- Gather items you have around the house – look for baskets, bowls, chargers, mason jars, candles and accent pieces that fit your theme or look great with it. Using everyday items blended with your themed items looks terrific and you can simply put them back when you are done. Don’t worry if they are not exactly “western,” you are looking for items that match the color, look and feel of your party.
- Decide your menu and fill in with a few simple snacks – in this case peanuts are a great item to fill up small containers and use in your display, you can even use the ones with shells for a western look. Other snack ideas would be potato chips, corn chips, mini corn dogs….
- Gather some “props” – like in the movie, pops are perfect for party decor… we gathered some potatoes for this set up, but other ideas might be horseshoes, mini hay bales, jute rope…just little touches that fill in here and there.
- Make Western Bunting – you have seen them, maybe a printed paper style or maybe a fabric one, well what if you combine burlap and paper…the results are so cute and wow it was simple. Start with Burlap Triangles or Canvas Corp Burlap Pennants, fussy cut designs from the Happy Trails Pack. Glue them onto the banner, add a few strips from your favorite all over paper and clip them to a strip of denim (cut from old jeans or use Canvas Corp’s Denim Fringe.
5. Design a Western Banner – Simple handmade touches make a wonderful subtle impact and can be added here and there. Start with a simple Canvas Banner – we used the 6″x8″ size banner, paint the edges to look old with Tattered Angels Saffron Glimmer Glaze to give it an aged look, mist the entire banner with Glimmer Mist Bronze and Gold and let dry, cut a piece of paper, we chose an all over print from the Happy Trails Paper Pack, punch holes and tie jute, then glue to the banner.
Find a stick and slip through the channel and use jute to make the rope. The paper looks like fabric and together this simple banner is a perfect part of your western decor.
6. Create mini art pieces with paper, embellishments and a bit of paint. You may not think you are an artist, but when you see how easy this is you will grab a paint brush and make your own.
Choose stretched burlap or canvas in smaller sizes to keep it simple and add a bit of art from the paper packs on top of painted burlap and canvas. The look of the handprinted art and the canvas give the feel of handprinted mini canvases. Finish the edges with a bit of Glimmer Glaze (done with Cowboy of course) Add a bit of white or ivory Tattered Angels High Impact Paint onto the canvas or burlap for a nice background. Leave a bit of the fabric exposed for a more handmade look.
The combination of the paper and the burlap and canvas just works so well and trust us, these took 15 minutes each. Add one of the new 7gypsies Treasures – Cow Head to the canvas to finish it off. They are adhesive and can be added to any craft, home decor and paper craft project. The Treasures are adhesive embellishments that look like the real object. We love the look of this Cow’s head with our decor theme.
Put them all together and you have the perfect party decor for a fraction of the cost, they are totally unique and your guests are going to want to know all about how you did it!!!
7. Food – Most posts are all about the food, the recipe and the menu, well we are giving it one of our 10 points, because the other stuff is so much more fun. If you love to cook, have fun creating food with a western feel – beans, ribs, steaks, iron skillet streak, rattle snake, fried potatoes, bean dip, biscuits, burgers, yeast rolls, coffee, ….you know the food cowboys love to eat and if you are not a cook, do it the easy way, cater it or buy prepared food that makes you look like you are amazing chips and salsa, mini corndogs, pork rinds, beef jerky, peanuts, rolls…
So if your are planning a western themed event or party, maybe a birthday for an old cowboy or a going away party for someone moving out west, you now have some ideas to start you party planning and decor ideas.
Grab some mason jars and fill them with lemonade or maybe a bit of spiked ice tea, napkins and plates in a coordinating color, consider getting the natural wood or bamboo items that will blend in perfectly. When the part is over, tuck these items away and pull them out for a birthday party, beer tasting or other fun party.
Other items used: Small Clothespins, jute cord
For more party and decor ideas take a look through our shop where you will find blanks, papers and themed products that will help you bring your creative party ideas to life.
Have a great party!!!!