A fun way to brighten someone’s day is to put together a handmade card and pop it in the mail and when the pile of mail is sorted and your card comes out on top a smile is sure to happen. If you are an avid card maker or love the idea of making mixed media cards, we know this found object card will inspire you and the Architextures™ Collection from 7gypsies makes it so easy. This new collection of embellishments, bases and papers just makes the process of making mixed media so fun and so simple.
Architextures™ was inspired by found objects and the wonderful pieces found at vintage fairs, flea markets and estate sales have found their way into this collection and look as real and the objects themselves and this “It’s Still A Sale” card shows you just how real the items truly look, but they are the prefect scale for your favorite paper craft medium – card making, scrapbooking, tag making, ATC’s, mixed media art, DIY projects and so much more. It is pretty hard to place a stack of old crates, a piece of milk glass, a few found bottles and a pair of candlesticks, along with some chicken wire, cardboard box and rusted metal on one little card, but guess what we did.
Architextures™ Bases are adhesive art pieces that are slightly dimensional and have a look and feel of the real objects, like this chicken wire base. The entire piece measures about 6″x9″ and is perfect for layering on top of paper, book covers, chipboard, etc. The negative space let’s the art below shine through and you can also use one big piece or tear it apart. You can also use a base as a stencil or mask if you are painting, watercoloring, inking or misting. If you want to alter the color simply color on the acetate carrier and let dry so that won’t have to worry about coloring the rest of your project or any layers getting in the way. Bases are really flexible too, so you can wrap them around corners or circular items.
So here is how simple this card it to make. You can add your own personal mixed media style, layers, textures, mediums, inks…have fun.
- Start with a card base – we used a Kraft 5″x7″ card
- Layer with a printed vintage style paper (this is one we make for Michaels under the Recollections Collection
- The next layer is the Architextures™ Chicken Wire Base – just snip off the excess or ever tear it off it is so easy
- Now onto decorating….we picked the stack of wooden crates from the Architextures™ Junque Pack – Warehouse
- Tear up a bit of cardboard to make a frame for your sign – Architextures™ Stash Paque – Enjoy (only found at Michaels Currently) – you can find little cute art in any of the Stash Paques and then add a bit of yard, string or thread, just because.
- Now to the found objects – oh so much fun – don’t they look real – Milk Glass Finding (Michaels), Found Bottles Findings, Candlesticks Findings, Boudoir Bottles (Michaels)
The found objects sit on the cardboard like a shelf – when we talk about mixed media, it is about mixing the media that you are working with, it is that simple and that easy.
If you are looking for great artwork pieces, ephemera, stagings, vintage alphabets, you so need to flip through the Architextures™ Stash Paques. Spelled a little fun, these packs are just filled with art and fun things to cut our, sticker and spell with.
So next time you head to a Flea Market or Vintage Fair with good friends, follow it up with sweet handmade mixed media cards to say thank you.
If you don’t see the items in our shop, stop by your local shop: Michaels, Darice or any other fine retailer. We are working hard to create an Architextures™ Movement – help us spread the gypsy love.
Wishing you a little gypsy creative love!!