So the entire project started with a plain 8×8 7gypsies Shadow Box and a coordinating 8×8 Wooden Insert. Not sure where she was going with the project, Shannon just started and one video turned into a library of 6 amazing videos that take you through the process from beginning to end.
Here is a peek inside the amazing box filled with all kinds of found goodness. Now you may not be in the mood to make this particular shadowbox, but we would not let that stop you from viewing these terrific videos and picking up a wide range of great mixed media techniques, ideas and inspiration, not to mention a few laughs as there is never a dull moment during Shannon’s videos, we are still giggling.
Here is what you need:
- 7gypsies 8×8 Shadow Box (and don’t throw away the packaging)
- 7gypsies 8×8 Shadow Box Insert (and don’t throw away the packaging)
- 7gypsies: Industrial Gears Book
- 7gypsies Tabs Mini Ephemera-Correspondence
- 7gypsies 8×8 Gypsy Moments paper pad
- 7gypsies 8×8 Ordre du Jour paper pad
- Canvas Corp Small Natural Clothespins
- Canvas Corp Waxed Cotton Cord-White
- Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists: Summer Glow, Caper Green, Pomegranate, Crimson, Coffee Shop, Tattered Leather, Red Chilis, French Lime, Kraft, Gilded Gold,
- Tattered Angels Baseboard-Fire
- Tattered Angels Chalkboard– Seven Seas
- Tattered Angels Naturally Aged Kit – Marble
- Tattered Angels Simply Sheer-Safety Orange
- Tattered Angels Stained Glass-Olive
- Tattered Angels High Impact Paint -Orange
- Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze-Sangria
- DecoArt Americana: Lamp Mississippi Mud Burnt Umber
- DuraClear Matte Varnish Inka Gold-Old Silver
- Hemptique .5mm Natural Hemp Cord
- Tria Letraset Alcohol Reinkers (these are not available anymore): Pantone 168-ti Pantone Process Black American
- Science & Surplus: Glass Vials & Corks Watch Parts
- Thrust Bearing Single-ended Cotton Swabs
- Hardware: Hinges Swing Arm Latch Screw Rings Binder Rings Decorative Chain Tools, Mediums,
- Adhesives: Fabri-Tac, Golden Semi Gloss Gel Medium, Golden Super Loaded Matte Medium, E-6000 Gorilla Glue
- 91% Isopropyl Alcohol Distressing Tool (scissors) Clamps Dremel MultiPro
- Misc.: Product Packaging IKEA Riktig Curtain Clip Vintage Slide Frame Vintage & Found Objects
- 10ml Acetate
Shannon gets you to this point quickly in the video and then the creativity turns into magic as she transforms this distressed box into a box of mixed media goodness.
Here is the link to the Shadowbox Videos that walk you through the process step by step.
Here are a few close ups that show off the stunning collection of pieces and parts.
Love this old fuse stuck in just the right place.
Found hinges, hooks, chains, loops and other hardware are great for adding to mixed media projects and when you use the real stuff vs. faux versions, they are strong and hold up well. If you don’t like the color, well paint them any color you wish – Tattered Angels High Impact is the best option for painting over metal and is available in metallic and pigment colors.
Pieces of old tape measures, old paint brushes and other metal findings are great pieces to add.
Gather old spoons they are amazing in mixed media art pieces and you can distress them, paint them or leave them as you found them.
You can never have too many great keys, you never have to worry about the lock they fit, just hang them, tie them, hook them, paint them and open up your creative lock.
Corrugated paper from old boxes, packaging supplies or first run flute papers are great for distressing and adding to projects. The paper accepts the various paints so well and looks amazing, almost like it is not even paper.
To see more of Shannon’s work visit her Shannon Green YouTube Channel and you will find a wide range of projects she has created with videos to show you how it is done. To view the videos for this project Shannon has made a library and you can view them on YouTube – 7gypsies Shadowbox or click here to view the first video.
'How to Make A Mixed Media Shadowbox' has no commentsBe the first to comment this post!