Painting…many of us struggle with the concept; many of us tried and gave up; some of us – the lucky ones – are good at it. We tend to worry not only about the skill but also about the tools, the bases, the paints… Tattered Angels have everything you might need when it comes to paints:
- Decor & DIY paint – perfect for up-cycling, repainting or any of your DIY projects.
- Glimmer Mists – the original TA mist; a beautiful translucent colour with a touch of glimmer
- Glimmer Glam – filled with chunky glitter pieces it is a sheer tinted paint; remember to shake it to get the glitter going!
- Glimmer Glaze – with loads of mica in the bottle, this is your crafty equivalent of a nail polish with its own brush; it dries with a slight texture.
- Chalkboard Mists – semi-opaque it’s the perfect choice when more coverage is what you are looking for; it’s filled with mica to add some shimmer
- Simply Sheer Mists – it’s the Glimmer Mist without the shimmer; the perfect translucent mist
- Baseboard Mists – like the Chalkboard mist it gives you the semi-opaque finish but without the shimmer
- High Impact Paint – perfect for your DIY needs including painting furniture or burlap, repurposing items, using with stencils and plenty more; ‘think of this paint as our acrylic paint on steroids’
- Stained Glass Paint – perfect for up-cycling glass objects; allows the glass features to still show through. The more layers you add, the more vibrant the colour.
With all the choice, the possibilities are endless. Trust us, painting can be fun!
Today, we’d like to show you how one of our Crew members, Cristin Stevenson, created two very different mixed media style paintings using Tattered Angels paints.
‘Coffee is a major part of every single day in my life… from working part time at a local coffee shop to consuming way too much espresso, my artwork is truly fueled by coffee. It was so exciting to create a coffee inspired art piece today! I have painted coffee themed artwork many times before, but I wanted to incorporate new supplies – so this time I brought in Canvas Corp Brands raw canvas, E-Flute (corrugated cardboard) and Tattered Angels Mists and High Impact Paint. The idea was to keep it loose and grungy. I hope you enjoy the video that I have made for you!’ – explains Cristin.
Canvas Corp Brands Canvas Fabric
Canvas Corp Brands – E-Flute Black
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist – Gold
Tattered Angels Mistable Paper – Patten Leather – White
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist – Verdigris
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist – Dragonfly
Tattered Angels Glimmer Glam – Golden Goddess
Tattered Angels High Impact Metallic – Antique Gold
Tattered Angels High Impact – Black
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist – Coffee Shop
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist – Tokyo
DecoArt Media White Gesso
DecoArt Media – Titan Buff
Uniball Signo UM-153 White Pen
You can make your painting about absolutely anything – it’s good to start from something of a rather straight-forward shape, like this coffee cup. Sketch your idea and then work over it with paints; the shimmers in Tattered Angels mists will create layers of tones and dimensions. Play with it! And most of all…enjoy!
Cristin’s second painting is a more mixed-media project using not only the Tattered Angels paints but also Mixed Media Origins papers, which are perfect for any kind of mixed media projects as well as your traditional crafting needs. She also used some Architextures elements to enrich the project – can you see that Tin Tile in the right hand corner? It blends in perfectly, doesn’t it?
‘This project is all about playing with textures and color through Architextures and Tattered Angels! I wanted to create grungy mixed media layers and experiment with the new products from 7 Gypsies – The Architextures line!’ – says Cristin.
Tattered Angels – Mistable Paper – Corduroy
Tattered Angels – Glimmer Mist – Tokyo
Tattered Angels – Glimmer Mist – Dragonfly
Tattered Angels – Glimmer Glam – Golden Goddess
Tattered Angels – High Impact – Black
Tattered Angels – High Impact – Antique Gold
Tattered Angels – Glimmer Mist – Coffee Shop
Tattered Angels – Glimmer Mist – Verdigris
Tattered Angels – Glimmer Mist – Black Magic
Tattered Angels – Mixed Media Origins – Masquerade Ball
7 Gypsies – Findings – Angel Wings
7 Gypsies – Architextures Tin Tile – Alabaster
DecoArt Media – Matte Medium
DecoArt Media – Modeling Paste
Metallic Lustre – Brilliant Turquoise
StencilGirl 6 x 6 “Rose Window” Stencil
Artistcellar – Cathedral Plans Stencil
Here is Cristin’s step-by-step tutorial:
‘I started with a 12 x 12 wooden board, Tattered Angels papers, ephemera (sheet music) and Architextures pieces and packaging. Using matte medium, I first glued down a 12 x 12 Tattered Angels Mistable Paper in “Corduroy”.
‘Once the sprays were completely dry (I cheated and used a heat tool to speed up the process), I layered some more on the board – from ephemera to Architextures. Because I have a need to repurpose everything, I was also able to fussy cut elements from the Architextures packaging to use in my project! I loved the way each piece added more life to the project.
Do you want to know one of Cristin’s secrets? ‘To add more of a grungy look throughout I also used a hot glue gun to glue many of the elements – that way the paper lays just a bit raised compared to those elements that were glued with matte medium.’ – she shares a useful hint.
Aren’t the paintings beautiful? We hope that they have inspired you to grab your mists and brushes and let your imagination lead you.
Have a great full of happy craftiness day!!!