Probably one of the most versalite crafting supplies are the Tattered angels Mixed Media Origins papers. Printed on a cloth like paper that has an amazing hand, these papers are two-sided and filled assorted art pieces, shading and details that create an automatic look of texture. The papers can be altered in anyway your mixed media heart desires.
Crew member, Linda Simpson chose the MMO Wings paper and created a stunning piece of wall art in small size but with a lot of details combining colored butterflies and using one of the Tattered Angels Naturally Aged Kits to work on the frame.
“I have for many years loved butterflies and when I got a piece of the beautiful Tattered Angels Mixed Media Origins collection Wings I knew exactly the project I wanted to create. This little shadow box will take pride of place on my craft room wall as it will match the decor. I also wanted to use the fine wood paint system by Tattered Angels on the shadow box So happy with how it turned out too.” – Linda says.
Tattered Angels Mixed Media Origins Collection Wings
Tattered Angels Naturally Aged Kit – Weathered Birch
Tattered Angels Simply Sheer Peach
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist Dragonfly
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist Bronze
4 x 4 wooded shadow box
Tim Holtz word die
No 6 paint brush
Golden Gel Medium
Black card stock
Low Tack Tape
Find full description on how Linda made this stunning shadow box in the following video:
Some quick steps to go with the creation of the project.
Step 1 – Cut out butterflies from sheet of paper then colour using Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist Sunkissed Peach and Dragonfly.
Step 2 – Add low tack tape to the glass before treating the shadow box with the Naturally Aged Kit Weathered Birch. Once dry use Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist Bronze to the edges of the frame. Adhere the word explore and the painted butterfly.
Step 3 – Add the insert to the shadow box and all completed.
I make this cover for my art journal using canvas,burlap,scraps and some mixed media methods and techniques it is always great to create it in your favorite colors and textures and have inspiration from your art journal every time when you would like to fullfill it! – says Viktoriya.
Canvas Corp Canvas Fabric Natural
Canvas Corp Burlap 12×12 sheet – Teal and Chocolate
Canvas Corp Black&Kraft Diamonds cardstock
Tattred Angels Mixed Media Origins paper – Wings
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist – Dragonfly, Aquamarine, Turquoise, Mint Julep, Coffee Shop, Walnut Gold
tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze – Blue Oasis, Satchel, Coconut Shell
white gesso or acrylic paint
Sewing machine (you can hand-stitch it too)
Viktoriya shares some tips on making the journal cover:
- Measure your journal and cut-to-measure a sheet of canvas; then gently apply gesso or acrylic paint through a chosen stencil. Let it dry or use heating tool.
- Spray TA Glimmer mists in bright blue/turquoise colors in random colours. I used Dragonfly and Aquamarine. Dry it. Then spray brown mists trough the other stencil. I used Coffe Shop for it. Let it dry.
- While the cover was drying, I colored the butterflies on Mixed Media Origins paper using different tones of blue/turquoise TA Glimmer mists and some brown tones – they worked like watercolor paints. Add touches of Glimmer Glazes.
- Irone the cover on the back side and make your centerpiece using a glue for temporary attachment.
- Sew around it to attach permanently. Pull threads to the inside and fasten them together for better hold.
- Prepare the art journal for covering. My art journal is an old school book, so I separated the book cover from the pages.
- Layer the cover with slimtex and attach it with double-sided tape. Then glue the canvas cover on top – fold over the edges and glue back.
- Add brads and old brushes on the cover to finish the design.
- Glue the art journal inside the cover.
My art journal has a great cover now!
Two completely different projects with the same product – we did tell you that there’s no limit to our creativity!
Tattered Angels Mixed Media Origins papers come in unique eclectic designs that can be colored and used as they are or cut into pieces and used to decorate your projects. Visit the store to see the whole collection.