Art Journals are in fashion at the moment, most probably due to the fact that they give the artist the freedom to do whatever they feel like. There is not one style of way of doing it right; there is not one product that you can or can’t use; there is not one technique you can’t pull off. So today, we wanted to share with you three more art journal ideas – these are all based around our Tattered Angels mists, mainly because we know how much you all love them!
Kate Dachovska – Stay Strong
‘Sometimes, I need to relax over my art journal, just sit and play with mediums and colours. With this journal, I wanted to show you how easy such creating can be. Only a few steps and you have got something interesting in your hands. Use any of your favourite stencils and your favourite Tattered Angel sprays and… relax.’ – says Kate.
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists – Key Lime Pie, Woven burlap
Texture paste – white sand
Kate shares a quick step-by-step:
- Glue tissue paper with Matte gel to your art journal page.
- Apply thin coat of white gesso.
- Use some of your favourite stencils and apply Sand paste over it. Dry it.
- Once dry, apply a thin coat of white gesso over the stencilled design. Dry it.
- Choose some of your favourite Glimmer Mists and start to paint background, use brush and water.
- It is good to start with darker colour and continue with a lighter one.
- For more dimension, you can stamp some texture stamps over background.
- Make some splatters and add your sentiment. You can use watercolour pencil to make a frame around the sentiment.
- If it is necessary, use white gesso over stencilled background to highlight the texture.
Kate Dachovska – Fly High
‘The emboss resist technique is often used in card making. I took this technique and I made and art journal in spring colours. It is very easy and you can play with your stamps and colours. Use any type of floral stamps you have, do not hesitate to make some stamp layering. It is really fun!’ – explains Kate.
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists – Wedding Pink, Marigold
Tattered Angels Chalkboard Mist – Iron
Canvas Corp paper – Spring Showers: Butterflies on Ivory
Finnabair waxes – Metallique wax – Rose gold, White gold, Brushed iron
stickers, glue, white embossing powder
versa mark ink
Quick steps for the spread:
- Apply white gesso all over your art journal page. Dry it with heat tool.
- Prepare paper with antistatic tool; with Versa Mark, stamp different floral motifs and emboss with heat tool.
- Take some of your favourite mists and start to colour background.
- Make more layers with mists, it will make your background more interesting.
- Cut butterflies from paper and colour them with mists.
- Add a sentiment with stamps or stickers or just by hand.
- Make some splatters with black colour.
- If you have any waxes, use them to add even more dimension to your background. Kate used them mainly around the edges.
- You can make more splatters with mists.
- As the final step, glue in the butterflies.
Linda Simpson – Spring Has Sprung
‘I just love sitting in my conservatory and watching the birds eating from the numerous bird feeders we have in our garden. When I saw this particular page (Tattered Angels Mixed Media Origins paper Flight) with the poem about spring and the birds around it, I knew it would look fabulous on a journal page.’ – says Linda.
Tattered Angels Mixed Media Origins Collection Flight
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists – Gold, Tattered Leather, Teacup and Dragonfly
Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze – Saffron
Tattered Angels Glimmer Glam Glitter Paint – Organic Garden
Tattered Angels Naturally Aged Paint System – Blue Rusty Metal
Dylusions A4 Journal
9 x 12 Dylusions Stencil – Luscious Leaves
Personal Impressions Stencil Musical Notes
Imagination Crafts Structure Paste
Winsor and Newton White Gesso Primer
Art journals … they’re so much fun! We always have new ideas to share with you, make sure you share yours with us! We love seeing your work – join us on Facebook in our CCB Collective.